Stokes feared for his life after choking incident
English all-rounder Ben Stokes has revealed the frightening moment he nearly choked on a tablet that got lodged in his throat.
Stokes took an indefinite hiatus from all cricket in July to prioritize his mental well-being and rest a finger, which he had broken.
But the 30-year-old detailed in his diary column that it was neither of these issues that caused him the greatest concern ahead of the first Ashes Test in Brisbane on December 8-12.
The article doesn’t say exactly when the incident took place, but it appears to be the current Down Under tour.
“It was actually a simple tablet that fell the wrong way and got stuck in my windpipe, causing me to choke horribly before the glands in my face raced to flush it out.” , wrote Stokes in The Daily Mirror.
“Until he came out, I thought this might be the end. We’ve all had those times when something gets stuck in our throats, and usually someone can help.
“But I was alone in my room and couldn’t breathe as it lodged and started to dissolve. I felt like my mouth was on fire.
“Without going into too much detail, I have never seen so much saliva as on Sunday morning, it was a really scary experience.
“The team doctor came to me right away and she explained to me what had happened with the body’s reaction. I’m glad I did, even though I was in a mess.”
Stokes also feared he suffered a broken arm after being hit by a ball in the net, but the team’s physiotherapists gave him the green light.
Speaking earlier today, England general manager Ashley Giles said he was hopeful Stokes would be ready to face Australia in Brisbane after his long stint.
The Durham all-rounder’s return to action has also been delayed after the England Ashes’ first warm-up game against the England Lions was abandoned due to rain.
Giles said: “I’m hopeful and always like to be confident, but we have to treat Ben with care, as we would anybody else who’s been in this position, not to have a lot of cricket to his credit.
“But he’ll be a difficult man to hold back if he’s ready to go.
“We always have to be stable with him. He hasn’t played a lot of cricket lately and coming back to the (lack of) preparation period, it’s not ideal for anyone, especially those who haven’t had a lot of cricket on their belt.
“So we will continue to develop it and see where we are at the end of this four-day game.”
Despite the disruption caused by the coronavirus restrictions and the weather, Giles said the England squad were best prepared for an Ashes series he had been a part of.
England were whitewashed 4-0, in 2017/18, and 5-0, in 2013/14, on their two previous Ashes Down Under tours.
“Well, definitely which I have been involved with in Australia, yes I do,” said Giles when asked how well prepared England are.
“We have thought long and deep and planned a long time this series and not everything has turned out perfectly and I guess you never expect it.
“Covid of course added another completely different level to that, but we have to try to get past that and it’s the same for both sides, both sides have finished the T20 World Cup and both sides have been in quarantine .
“So we just have to make sure we’re more prepared than the Australians when we reach day one at The Gabba and we all know how important that first test match is.”