Tamil Nadu reopens shopping malls, gyms and religious venues from today | Latest India News
- The government has classified 38 districts into three separate groups taking into account cases of Covid-19 in an attempt to ease restrictions.
Through industantimes.com | Written by Susmita Pakrasi, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
POSTED JUNE 28, 2021 07:29 AM IST
As Tamil Nadu continued to see a steady decline in daily Covid-19 cases, relaxations in lockdown standards will come into effect from Monday. The relaxations include the reopening of places of worship and shopping centers in four neighborhoods and the resumption of public transport in 23 other neighborhoods.
The Tamil Nadu government also authorized the reopening of textile showrooms and jewelry stores in 23 districts of the state from Monday as part of the easing of lockdown standards. The additional relaxation was granted following advocacy and opinions from individuals and traders’ organizations, according to an official statement, reports the PTI news agency.
The government has classified 38 districts into three separate groups taking into account cases of Covid-19 in an attempt to ease restrictions.
As of June 14, the government of Tamil Nadu has authorized more relaxations for 27 districts and includes the reopening of government-run retail alcohol outlets and lounges. Following a gradual decrease in the number of Covid-19 cases, the government has gradually relaxed the restrictions.
Here is an overview of the new Covid-19 guidelines:
- Shopping complexes, malls and places of worship would reopen in four districts of Chennai, Kancheepuram, Tiruvallur and Chengelpet in northern Tamil Nadu with relatively fewer cases of Covid-19.
- Gyms, yoga centers (50% occupancy), museums and protected monuments would open in 27 districts in total from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and with the exception of 11 other districts, including Coimbatore and Thanjavur.
- People are allowed to visit beaches between 5 a.m. and 9 a.m. statewide.
- Bars and cinemas will remain closed.
- Private institutions could work with a 100% workforce in Chennai and three other districts.
- Non-air conditioned bus services, including inter-district operations, will resume with 50% occupancy in 23 other districts.
- Bus services are already operational only in Chennai and three neighboring districts, including Chengelpet.